TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AT WORK
Let’s face it, standing up for long periods of time can add a lot of stress on the feet. If you are a health care worker, a teacher or even in sales, the impact on our feet is all the same. Oftentimes we think that flat shoes are the best solution but these shoes aren’t actually recommended for prolonged periods up on our feet. Here are a few tips to help your feet!
- Wear comfy shoes and socks! - When providing cushioning, arch support and targeted compression, shoes and socks can help reduce weakness and soreness in the legs and feet.
- Compression - This forces blood to flow back to the heart, improving blood circulation in the legs but it also reduces swelling in the feet and ankles.
- Hydration - Dehydration forces your body to seek water from other areas, including your joints. So best to make sure you are drinking enough water during the day.
Although we always want to keep the fast pace routine between work and extracurricular activities, it is still very important that we listen to our body and be mindful. When you start to feel discomfort, it is time to take action. Your feet will support you for it (pun intended!).
HELP PUMP BLOOD OUT OF THE FOOT AND BACK TO THE BODY
Stretching your feet can be a great way to care for them! Did you know footcare is also associated with many benefits such as improvement to cardiovascular health, circulation, muscle tone, and even a boost to your overall mood? Muscles can become stiff and painful as you stand or walk all day. Stop every hour or so to strech, relax, and lengthen tightened muscles. Your body will thank you!
Here are 2 simple stretches:
Benefits: Help pump blood out of the foot and back to the body.
- Stand tall on the edge of a step or platform, with your abdominal muscles pulled in.
- Secure balls of your feet firmly on the step with your heels hanging over the edge.
- Raise your heels a few inches above the step as you stand on your tiptoes, and hold for a second.
- Lower your heels back to even with the platform.
- Repeat 10 times.
Benefits: Improve your flexibility which will allow your joints to move through range of motion more fully with less effort
- Face a wall and place your hands against it.
- Extend one leg behind your body.
- Push your heel to the floor as far as it will go.
- Hold for a moment to feel the stretch and then switch sides.
- Repeat three times on each leg.
Stretching tends to feel good because it activates your nervous system and increases blood flow to your muscles. Actively stretching will also boost endorphins and also help with posture. We love the sound of all these good vibes! Take care of yourself and of your feet!
SELF CARE TIPS FOR YOUR FEET AT HOME
Feet are the body's foundation, so keeping them healthy is vital to your overall health! Surveys show that 8 out of 10 Americans have experienced a foot problem - this includes anything from ingrown toenail to chronic foot pain. Depending on how long that foot problem lasts, it could potentially impact one’s overall quality of life and health. We believe prevention and self care is important. And, it's so easy! A good dose of selfcare will allow you to always have a bounce in your step and that way you can fully enjoy your daily activities!
We want you to have happy feet and healthy feet! There are many ways at home that you can take care of your feet to recover from the day and prepare for tomorrow.
Ice your feet: Immersing your feet in a bucket with water and ice for 20 minutes works to combat the swelling and inflammation that prolonged standing creates in the foot. Each step we take or minute we stand, we are creating micro-damage that the body has to heal. Using ice is an easy, effective way to help the body heal faster.
Massage your feet: Roll your foot from heel to toe over a tennis ball or baseball. The gentle massage on your feet and arches will stretch tight foot muscles and help your feet recover more quickly.
Elevate your feet: Propping your feet above the rest of your body will help decrease the day’s swelling. You can place them against a wall or on a stack of pillows.
A happy and active version of you has healthy feet! Be the best version of yourself and don’t let anything stop you. Take the time for selfcare. You deserve it!